Monday, February 04, 2008

We Serve an Amazing God

Last week I was sick. Shingles! Yuch, you cannot imagine how your skin can erupt into open sores that are like burns and feel like it too. At least it was only on one side - of my head, face, and in one eye. One week has made a major difference and while - the pain is mostly gone, it still looks like I have been in a bad fight and lost.
While I was sick, I got an unexpected phone call from a friend of a friend. The call was from the mayor of Tegucigalpa - who is a friend of a friend of mine. The mayor called to tell me that there had been a fire in a very poor community and that there were five families that were left without a place to live. The hope was that there would be a group here that could get some new houses built for the 40 or so people that have lost everything. I told the mayor that we would be able to get the houses built in March and April when we will have 3 groups coming to town. After sleeping on that thought, it occured to me that there would be bunches of kids with no place to live for more than 6 to 8 weeks if we waited until we had groups here. The next morning I put an email out that described the situation. The result is that we almost immediately had the resources needed to build NOW. I called the mayor and let him know that we wouldn't need to wait for 6 to 8 weeks and we are planning to build the first of the houses early next week. We are just blessed that we can be a little part of God's plan for answering the crys of the poor in Honduras.
Be a blessing to somebody today!
Marc

1 comment:

Ginger said...

Dear Marc,
What u write is a blessing for me to read. What you do for others in the midst of your own personal trials (shingles or whatever your grandaughter, Camille calls this horrible stuff) shows me that you are in God's Hands and not in Satan's grip.
I get great joy from seeing you and Terri expressing your love for Jesus.
I am extremely great-ful God put you and Terri in our lives.

Sometimes I do not feel that God is the center of my life. I have learned a lot about myself reading about you guys. Pray for me.
As I continue to pray for you both.
Love,
Ginger